"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Thursday, April 19, 2012

Not Giving Up, the Struggles of Weight Loss..





*whispering....* I have put on weight recently. Some was since I started weight training. I wish I could say it is all muscle mass. But it's not. Muscle weighs more than fat, but it takes up less space, and my clothes are quite tight!!

After taking advantage of access to the personal trainers at my new gym, I found out  I am lacking protein, and calories in my diet. I have been on a weight loss diet so long, that the strict 1200 calories that helped me drop over 100lbs is not working for me anymore.

Turns out, I've been starving my body into holding onto fat. Huh?


It is very frustrating after working so hard for so long to drop all the weight only to pack on almost 15lbs in what seems like overnight. I knew I could not sustain a 3x daily workout forever. Finding a balance has proved to be hard, indeed!

The solution? I have to eat more calories, to get back to where I was, to support gaining lean muscle mass. My body burns more calories doing nothing, so kicking up my workouts was actually detrimental to me, without adjusting my calories at the same time as the weight came off.

And running? Ugh.  For something I do every day, I don't love running. I do it for the calorie burn. It was boring, and I counted the minutes of each and every run, until I did my first race! Then.. you get sucked in to the atmosphere, the adrenaline, the excitement from your fellow racers! You find your normal pace group to start out, and then you leave it!! I never believed that this would happen for me, until my best girlfriend convinced me to do some races.


And she was right!

My goal at my first race of the season this Saturday (just a 5k) is to finish in less time than I did my last 5k last season. Which I did  in 30 minutes. 

Any improvement will make me giddy!

The sunshine in the black cloud of gaining weight is that I havn't given up

I am not going to be one of those people that drops all their weight and then gains it back because it seems so hard, and overwhelming. I am going to make the suggested adjustments, and keep kicking ass, the same way I did to lose over 100lbs. Ultimately it's calories in, calories out, and you have to take on more calories, when you are burning more.

In the grand scheme of things, losing the weight was far easier than maintaining my goal weight has been!


In less than 2 months, I am taking my new body to the beach to visit my sister, and this will be the first time since I was 18, that I'm not ashamed of what will be seen! Or even, hate bathing suit shopping!

So... here's to not giving up, trying harder, sweating more, feeling fabulous, and loving how it feels to make MYSELF proud! I am healthy, and  nothing can ever replace that feeling!


No comments: