"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Friday, April 16, 2010

chiclephobia is real...

You know how you hear of some phobias and you think they are ridiculous? You probably think mine is too. I just spent the last hour at work being razzed by coworkers over my gum phobia.

It disgusts me.

How is it acceptable to chew something up all day and smack it in peoples faces? Whats the difference if I have some chicken and chew it a few times and spit it out? What if I took my half chewed food out of my mouth and carried it around with me while I talked? What if I put my chewed up food on your dinner plate while you ate food?

I can trace it back to childhood, which also may explain my dislike of using real forks. (I prefer plastic where possible) While doing the dishes there was a peice of gum stuck to the back of a fork. Its horrified me for life.

I don't like the smell of it. I don't like the packaging, I dont like it in the store, I don't like it if you have a container that had gum in it and you use it for money, or pills and go to offer me either of these things. Nothing that housed, or touched gum is ever acceptable to offer me.

I don't want you at my desk touching things if you are chewing gum, and forget about kissing me. Bleh.

Its DIS-GUS-TING!

Oprah has it too. I wish she'd do a show about it so people would get off my case!

P.S. The final name of my new doggie is Mr. Magoo.

18 comments:

Carolyn G said...

I had no idea there was such a thing but we all have our phobias. I like chewing gum but only do it when I am alone. I hate when people smack their gum and pop it. It drives me crazy. I used to have a co-worker who would do that all the time. It was disgusting. UGH!

Andhari said...

I like chewing gum better than bubble gum. People usually play with it less but even with that preference, I don't have it so often. Not big into always having food / snack / candies in my mouth.

ps. love your dog name!

Teena in Toronto said...

I chew gum when I feel like snacking.

Tiffany P said...

I have the same exact phobia!... I thought I was like the only one a [weirdo] but yea, I think gum is one of the most disgusting thing ever... I cant even touch the wrapper... or step on it. Oh and its called a "Chiclephobia". lol.

Lyn said...

I do know how this goes. Why does gum even EXIST?
I'm tired of people popping it and smacking it and chewing it near me.

Unknown said...

Chiclephobes of the world unite! I am another one who HATES gum and gum chewing. If I am riding the train home from work and someone sits next to me who is chewing gum, I'll get up and move. I hate the smell and sound of smacking gum. Cud. So gross!

Anonymous said...

yes I am deaf and it hard for me because I have to watch interpreter sign and they chew gum and very distracting.
or trying to read lips.

Anonymous said...

I would not exactly call mine a "fear" of gum as much as a terrible loathing. I honestly thought I was weird, but I cannot stand it. I hate the smell of it, or the sound it makes, and I gag if I see someone take it out of their mouth and such.

It's just disgusting!! So is it a fear? Okay.. so I am going with the whole diagnosis of Chiclephobia- which is real. And did you know that Oprah also shares this?

Anonymous said...

You all should seek professional HELP. Life has plenty of challenges to waste time being this concerned about gum.

Anonymous said...

I havw chiclephobia !! I hate to see it stuck on carpet and people stick it under the table, on thee drive thru menu, clothing and grocery store shelves and shopping carts and it just drives me crazy.... !! Wonder if there's a cure ??

Anonymous said...

i have chiclephobia, I have no idea why but I do. I'm 12 and in middle school, it never leaves. Therapy is helping, though.

Anonymous said...

I too have this phobia, yay I'm not the only one. The smell the sight the sound all of it sends me into a panic. When I try to explain it to co-workers they think I'm nuts.

Amy J said...

I have this too!!! We should have a website all our own, a sort of support group. We can share our horror stories and how we get teased. People so don't get it. GUM IS GROSS. I hate the smell, the sight, the awful wet smushing sound it makes in people's mouths. Everything about it. And the packaging too, just like you. If something touches gum....it has to be thrown out. I never feel okay in my shoes again if I have stepped in gum in them. AND it drives me NUTS that people seem to think it's ok to just spit it WHEREVER or stick it into little nooks and crannies in public places. CHEWING GUM IS REALLY GROSS, CHEWING GUM I HATE THE MOST.

Anonymous said...

I have chiclephobia, too. I am trying to conquer my fear, but it is difficult. Some kids at schoool have found, and they have been teasing me. But I don't care. That is just who I am.

Bryony said...

Wow! I did not even know phobia even had a name until today, then I found out its called 'chiclephobia', then I Googled it and boom... for the first time in my life I can hear other people explaining why they don't like people chewing around them. It sounds exactly the same as what I have to reel off every time I meet a new person who starts to chew next to me!

David said...

It has to be the most vile habit. I though I tend to quickly write people off if they're chewing gum as completely uncivilized, most don't and I don't get it. How is this habit socially acceptable? I also don't understand how others aren't bothered by it?

Someone in my house started chewing it and I'm seriously considering moving.

YUCK!

Anonymous said...

So i have the fear of stepping on the dried gum on the ground. I avoid it so much that i look down when i walk. How can i fix this?

Anonymous said...


I think my chicle phobia is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!