"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Obsession...

On Sunday, the manfriend bought the paper, and in it, was a DVD called "Obsession". It's about radical Islam's war against the West. Naturally we watched it. Mmm, go ahead and watch the trailer. It scared the crap out of me. I mean, obviously, I know that many radicals hate us, but to see the hatred for myself? Makes me sick. And, scares the shit out of me. Also, they make a pretty strong connection to Nazi Germany. Even the propaganda passed out then and now is almost identical. And, we all know how that turned out.

And, it's not just the Christians they hate. They hate Buddhists and Jews too. I can't imagine hating people so much that I didn't know. Or, being so filled with hate that I would want to kill myself. Or to believe in a God that "told me" I should die killing others to make "it" happy. The movie also showed there are people who live there who want to make it better, they recognize that they don't make life happy for their children, so they turn to this way of life. Everyone wants something to believe in, right?

I suggest watching it. It's good to be informed. Someone went thru a lot of trouble to put these in the newspaper. And I don't think it was for nothing. Although, sometimes I prefer ignorance.

Speaking of differences. I have yet another diversity class today. Last time we watched this movie all about a popcorn kernel. The point was we didnt know it was a kernel til it popped, cus we only saw it close up. Not the "big picture". My next endeavor after these classes is managing interpersonal relationships, which I'm actually interested in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting, but I so wouldn't get any of it - my mind just doesn't work like that. I'll stick to my ignorance in this case :)

Anonymous said...

I would caution against reveling in this hate. What will getting the DVD do for you, except inspire more fear and hatred in response?

Don't feed the wolf.

You probably don't watch local news. You probably don't read about the Westboro Baptist Church often and their campaign of hate.

You can take in an awful lot of media that will lower your opinion of humanity and make scared for yourself and your family's future (just try watching VH1 reality Tv), but most of it goes past awareness to indulging and feeding a lot of negative things inside your own head.

Just my $.02.

Katie said...

The "fund" that put this in the paper is a endorcing McCain (eventhough they shouldn't be because they are a 501 and legally can't be involved in politices). It is more of the lame politics of fear. Trying to scare people into believing another attack is going to happen. Just like Bush, McCain is going to cash in on 9/11 if he can.

Barb said...

It's all very scary to me too. I prefer ignorance also. Ugh.