"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Not My Best..

I tried to go back to work prematurely, as I often do. My boss told me to go home and only work half a day, because I looked too sick. The girls all said I "looked thin" and they wanted my illness. I said "Uh, no you don't, it's not worth it!"

Mind you, I'm off 4 days now on my marathon training. So I thought, I'll go home, sleep a few hours, and take kickboxing. I feel fine now. I'm just tired. I can do it!

I am raring to go in class. I get about halfway thru, and then, the instructor got blurry. I could hear her but she sounded distant. She seemed to be in a tunnel...My mind raced... "omg I'm going to pass out, stay present" I tell myself.

I actually pinched myself to not pass out. I kept breathing away nausea...half-assing my kicks, until finally, I had to rush out of the studio to the bathroom, and... blow chunks.

My chunks didn't even hit the toilet, they were all OVER the toilet. Cleaning them up was super awesome.

Lesson? Listening to your body is really important.

If your body is tired, let it rest. It's way better to take it easy than to yack all over your gym bathroom.

4 comments:

Carolyn G said...

You are so nuts!! If you are sick, you need to sleep and drink hot tea and eat chicken soup.

NO EXERCISE!!

Take care of yourself!

Teena in Toronto said...

You've got to listen to your body!

If your body is a temple, mine must be a mansion! said...

Isn't it sad that we beat ourselves up over getting sick/taking much needed rest days?! Why do we feel that we HAVE to jump right back in at 50-75%? I did that last October when I first started running, and a one week cold quickly turned into a four week cold/strep throat/double ear infection. Get some rest girl - sounds like your heading towards the light at the end of this bug, and maybe all you need is another day or two. You can get back to kicking ass on Monday!

Fizzgig said...

carolyn:
lesson learned the hard way! bleh, that was embaressing having to run out of class!

teena:
i keep hearing this, and i am now listening its ok to be sick....i have to allow my body time to recover. its frustrating though!!

temple:
i know, right? i think you get use to that level of working out and you think you can jump right back in, it makes me mad but maybe its better I am sick now vs. closer to the marathon, maybe ill still recoup in time to make up the miles and kill the race!!