"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Thursday, August 06, 2009

Prairie Dogs are Cute...


Did you know that prairie dogs kiss? Google prairie dog kiss in images. Squeeeeee!

This is only rivaled, by the fact that otters hold hands in the ocean so they don't float away. Animals are so freaking cute. And lucky. They don't have to get jobs, pay bills, or deal with family! Unless you are my pets, whereas I kept two of my cats kittens, and she is a Momma for life.



I've decided that I want to live back in the prairie days. This decision comes after many money woes, and will likely be getting another second job (if I'm lucky) I enjoyed having an entire year and a half of one job. I got to see how the other half lives.



Because of money, I have sucky cable and only have family channels. (You know, no A&E, Bravo, TNT, TBS, MTV...NOTHIN!) I've been entertaining myself with reruns of The Golden Girls, and "Little House on the Prairie" on the Hallmark Channel.



Last night, Charles lost his job. They owed money to the Olsens (remember bratty Nellie and Willie, and mean Mrs. Olsen? I always wanted to smack them!) To make money Charles cleaned out stables. For 25 cents a day! Twenty five cents???



Mary quit school for a while and worked full time sewing for $1.70 a week! They ran out of coffee, sugar, and tea, and all smiled through it because "sugar is bad for your teeth, and coffee keeps you up when you drink too much".



The girls couldn't do their homework because they ran out of paper. Ran out? And when things turned back around after pulling together, they put on their Sunday best after bathing in the creek, went to town and got a lead pencil and tablet of paper. Oh, and sugar. Families helped each other. You were rewarded for hard work, not for being a lazy fuck. Yes, I'd fit right in.



I think I lived those days in a past life. I'm fascinated with it, and have always liked old things. Old useless things to just stick around the house.



The only thing I wouldn't like about the prairie days, is no birth control. Screw that having 10 kids mess, and having to wash all their clothes by hand out on a wash board, and cook food all day after working in the garden in a dress. And no tivo. Could you imagine no tivo? I can't. I think my heart stopped beating for a minute.



Maybe I'll create a village like in the M. Night Shamalan movie everyone but me hated. Only I'll secretly have a TV!




On a side note, when my coworker is married, I'm going to be so happy I don't have to hear about her wedding 10 hours a day. For two years.

5 comments:

Sister Copinherhair said...

I used to be obsessed with Little House on the Prairie as a kid. I used to pretend all the time that I lived back then and I think I read all of her books five hundred times each. :)

Ms. Megan said...

I want to live back then too.. I bet none of them just got a bill for $300 because their dr charged in the insurance company incorrectly!

Teena in Toronto said...

I soooo couldn't live back then.

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i totally forgot about that movie! so f'ed up.

heather said...

I hated that Nellie bitch. But I was secretly jealous of her. Maybe that's the real reason I hated her.

I've been there. Poor. Washed my clothes in the bathtub. Used an iron to dry them faster. Not a good place to be. Bill suck. Debt sucks even worse because it seems like there's no way out. Is anyone truly debt free?

You're not alone in trying to just stay above water.