"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Saturday, May 12, 2012

Being a Pillar of Good Health...

This week I had my second ever biometric screening. I was so super excited, as I was only 2 months into my transformation when I had it done last year, so I could not WAIT to see what improvements were made!

I walked away with the nurse telling me that I have made such a vast improvement over last year that I should shout it down the hallway (at work) that diet and exercise DO work, and that I am a shining example of how you can turn your health around, and I should encourage others to do the same!

My dad died from hardening of the arteries, and my mom has horrid cholesterol. I want to prove as much as I can that genetics don't have to make you feel "doomed". Sometimes you really are in control of your own health, all you have to do is try!

I still have some improvement in the body composition, and BMI, but that will be my improvement for next year!!

But, what made me squeal on the inside, is I went from being in an obese class II last year (very close to class III which is the highest) to simply being "overweight" a mere 4 points away from being in the NORMAL BMI range! I'll take that, I moved two whole categories in a year!

My body composition, which measures your fat, to muscle, to bone density ratio?  I was in the RECOMMENDED range. Just barely made it but I'm there!

I still want to lose 25-30 lbs, but I am so proud of my progress, and I can't wait to see where my numbers are when I am re-tested next year!!


My blood pressure was higher than it was last year, but still "ok" they said. This is something I am going to be changing by quitting smoking!  The only thing I have changed for the worst over the last year, was an increase in smoking.

I know when and why it started, and I am past that point in my life and I need to let it go. If I can fight an addiction to food, I can fight the nicotine! I have to eat to live, and struggle constantly not overeat. I don't have to smoke to live, and struggle not to over-smoke, as much as my brain says I do.....

Mind over matter.

So, if you think you can't do something, try! I never gave myself a chance, I always gave up. I started my journey by joining a bootcamp that forced me to be accountable (paying if you don't lose weight). I told myself for once in my life, I am giving it 30 days, no exceptions, to eat clean. After the 30 days of course I cheated.

The difference that time was, I could tell the difference in my mental, and physical abilities by eating bad foods.



1 comment:

Carolyn G said...

Wow that is awesome Good job!!