"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Tuesday, July 21, 2009

High Risk....

I had my cholesterol tested at work yesterday. It was free. Of course, I didn't fast or anything, but what the hell. I've lost weight. I work out every day. I eat healthy 80% of the time. What have I got to lose?

Psh.

My cholesterol was 235. Ideal range is under 200. 200-239 is borderline high.

A coworker that works out more than me, weighs much less, and eats way better, is up to 243. I swear you can't win for losing.

On a higher note, I still have excellent blood pressure, 115/60. I just have to tackle my cholesterol. So, I googled it....

I already do everything they say, no red meat, lean meats (chicken, turkey, tuna) fruits and vegetables, limit your sodium and butter. I eat sodium free vegetables if they are canned, and low sodium soup if I eat soup. I use low sodium salt! I mostly eat sugar free everything too. Low fat cheese. Skim milk. Honestly, I don't know what else to change. I eat regular on the weekend usually. Can two days really screw up your cholesterol?

My favorite part about the "how to lower your cholesterol"? Eat complex carbs at every meal. Anything that encourages me to eat carbs is my new best friend! Watch me lower my cholesterol. I'm going to make a Dr. appointment in about a month to see if it's lower.

I miss being 16 and eating snickers and nutter butters for lunch, with dr. pepper to wash it down, and eating taco bell all night since that was my job, oh, and being a size 9. Having health risks makes me feel old. And I don't wanna!

So, since my HDL cholesterol is high (this one is suppose to be high...from working out they said) I decided if thats whats preventing heart disease, (they said its balancing out my bad cholesterol so I wont keel over) I should workout more. So I did another half hour after work, and did some weight machines. I'll likely do another double work out today. Maybe this cholesterol thing is the kick in the pants I needed to lose the last size I wanted to lose!

4 comments:

Andhari said...

Snickers for lunch? I did those back in the days too. Oh, to be that careless.

Good luck tackling cholesterol, and complex carbs are AMAZING!:)

Anonymous said...

There is an award waiting for you over at my blog.

Teena in Toronto said...

My cholesterol was high so my doc put me on a med for it.

Organic Meatbag said...

I miss brushing my teeth with Hershey's syrup...