"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I'm Bossy.....

I don't remember the last time I've been so busy. Oh yea, at my last job, where I enjoyed my work, and always had something to do. It's a nice change of pace. It's hectic, sometimes I wanna scream, but I love it. I always have worked best under pressure. This morning I met with my boss again about all the changes going on. We are going to restructure the department, and she wants me to come up with a realignment to present to her boss tomorrow. I will go from having three VP's to one. I'll take over training the new girl, many of my bosses reports, and managing the two remaining girls. The company is on a hiring freeze, and until that's lifted I have to help manage the workload and make things work with who is left. Uh, good luck?

The meeting was good. I learned that my boss's boss's boss is also on board with moving me forward into a supervisor position, which I'm told also comes along with a supervisor's salary. What that is, I don't know, and neither do they. Until we get thru this next three to four weeks, she said that isn't clear. She told me sometimes you have to jump on the bus and see where it takes you. And honestly, nothing else is in the works for me anyways, so what have I got to lose? I've applied for a billion jobs.

She told me she recommended me for that mentorship program before all this happened, because she see's a lot of potential in me, and I need to make other people see what she see's, and this is my chance to shine. She is leaving for surgery next week, and in the next week I have to learn how to do her two major reports that the girls rely on to do all their month end reporting. She complimented my positive attitude, the fact that I never lose my cool, and I am technically saavy. I'm excited. And I'm scared. And anxious. And scared. And nervous. And excited. I'm everything.

Today, they are making the announcement to the VP's in one of their meetings that in her absence I will be doing much of her work. I'm not sure how the girls will be told, but it makes me a bit nervous. Especially since I am good friends with one, and I happen to know she is also looking for other work. I have to still be friends, and manage at the same time. This is going to be a crazy time. I am not sure what will happen, how it will turn out, but I do have confidence in myself, and I know that they also have confidence in me. I'm strapping in for the ride. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Samantha said...

Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

Rachel said...

Wow! That's fantastic. Looks like your hard work is paying off. Congrats!

Ken Albin said...

You sound like you have the personality to make a great teacher! Good luck to you.

Erin said...

I don't know Mon, call me cynical, but it sounds to me as if they are having you do a lot more work with no guarantees. I mean, you don't even know if there is going to be a raise in salary, and it might not even be that much.

I only say this, because it happened to me - there were all these promises made, and then when they actually decided to give me the supervisory job (after I had been doing all the work for 8 weeks while someone was on maternity leave) it came with like a dollar more an hour for twice as much work.

I mean, it sounds as if you have a lot of opportunity there - but you have to make sure it'll be worth it in the end. You don't want to work even harder for little to no more compensation!

Good luck though - I hope it turns out to be everything you want it to be!!

Patti Cake said...

I really hope this is what you've been waiting for...it would be a big shot in the arm! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Jennifer said...

Good luck!

I'd get the specifics beforehand to make sure they're in line with what you want in addition to what they are expecting.

Keep us posted! :D

Fizzgig said...

Samantha:
Thank you!! Me tooo!

Rachel:
I certainly hope so!

EC:
Yea, if nothing else its a lesson learned...I'm still looking for another job, I am in the market for more money now rather than later. Plus, I can leave with the title of "supervisor" and that looks pretty good on a resume!

Patticake:
I have a lot of hope! Its one thing I'm good at!

KG:
definately....it'll be an interesting ride for sure!