"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Getting in Bonus Mileage...

I have been super busy with workouts latley. Because I am officially doing another half marathon!! Back to my vigorous training schedule, and hopefully increasing my speed and endurance!

I've also started to wear a pedometer to fuel my competitive nature. An average woman takes 5,000 steps a day, I didn't want to be average...my first few days have a little over 11k. (I wear it during both my workout, and my run) 

Speaking of competitive...I thought the Cleveland would be my first and only half this year so I signed up for lots of smaller races for the summer to feed the craving.

But since my first half was so hot, and utterly miserable, I wanted another shot at a 13.1 to get my time down, so I can have a great finish to the season!

I will be taking on the towpath half this October!! It's a great course, mostly flat, at a beautiful time of year for Ohio, and as my friends have told me, a very scenic run, much like this..



I have been spending so much time doing treadmill runs due to the heat, I took an easy walk/jog just for fun, and not for my weekly miles!






I do not wear contacts or glasses when I run. I took this picture of two heron and squinted for about a minute until I realized they were smartly placed statues. 


There was this giant bridge held up by wires. I did cross it. I didn't run... it sort of feels like you are walking on air. 




I find nothing more enjoyable, than being alone with my thoughts in the great outdoors, surrounded with things to see and hear, that remind you how lucky you are to be alive on this earth.

I also enjoyed the fact that just  for fun, I decided to be active. This is so the new me!

8 comments:

OBM.cle said...

Love this! One of my favorite things to do is bike on any and all of the CLE metroparks...alone! Ohio residents don't realize just how lucky we are with all of our trails and our great park systems all over NE Ohio. Explore as many of them as you can.

Carolyn G said...

Wow another long run? Girl, you are crazy but I admire you. I am doing 2 miles on the treadmill and you inspire me to keep going

Christy said...

Another half? Girl, you are inspiration! I haven't run on the towpath yet, but I bet it is amazing!

Debbie said...

I love this post because it says so much about how far you've come. The idea of running for fitness, getting faster, and competing goes so far beyond simply doing it to lose weight. You're an athlete now. :-)

Fizzgig said...

obmCle:
I totally agree. I have had an idea, but not until recently have I really started to explore all of our amazing places! We are so lucky to have all of this at our fingertips! So many people do not know how amazing it can be, or they don't have the luxury of so many acres of protected land to enjoy for FREE!!

Christy:
I might be crazy...but if I don't set goals for myself I won't keep challenging myself. I am so excited to even scrape one minute off of my first half marathon time!!


Carolyn:
keep going girlie! 2 miles is amazing! most people can't walk a mile before pooping out, and every time you do it, do it for just one minute more, and eventually those extra tenths of miles will inspire you to go a full extra quarter, or half!! That is exactly how I started, tenth, by tenth!!

Debbie:
eeek! thank you thank you! an athlete...wow! This is an inspiring thought! i love it! It is not my main focus anymore and I hope it will become a collateral accomplishment of trying to build strength, and be a bit faster, and go a bit further! Never in a billion years thought I would even care. It never gets old to me to think on that...

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Congrats on all the running! It's about the easiest and cheapest form of aerobic exercise there is; no gym fees!

I agree, running across a narrow wooden suspension bridge does feel very weird. Not so on a bicycle, but definitely feels "off" when running across one.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Eeek, blogger just ate my comment. Bleh. I think it went something like this:

Congrats on the running! Great aerobic exercise and so much cheaper than doing gym stuff. The air is fresher too!

I agree that running along a narrow wooden suspended bridge feels very weird. Not so much on a bicycle, but it sure feels "off" when running across one.

Fizzgig said...

dave:
thanks, i agree, the easiest and cheapest form of exercise, and it's kinda rewarding if you like to see the sights.