"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Sunday, May 19, 2013

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks...

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. But I beg to differ.

 Mr. Magoo, the shih-poo puppy mill rescue lived for 4 years in a cage with no human love. He is 7 or 8 or so, we really don't know since most of his teeth have rotted and had to be pulled due to neglect.

 In his three years with me, I have taught him to eat and drink out of a bowl, go outside to potty, walk on a leash, go up stairs (but not so good at down), play chase, fetch toys, and sit, and lay down. He knows people aren't bad, and he enjoys being petted, playing with his kitty siblings, and belly rubs!

 Our newest venture is learning to "wait" for treats. This is him showing off.
 

 I love that silly "second hand dog" with all my heart.

4 comments:

Urban Cynic said...

He's so clever!!! He definitely seems to confuse lie down with wait but he sure knows sit. What an absolute darling.

Fizzgig said...

urban cynic:
that's my fault, because for about a year all we did was "sit, lay down" back and forth, so he is use to doing those two things over and over, and getting treats! lol gotta re-train his brain!

Teena in Toronto said...

You're a good mom!

Mr. Magoo is a such a smart dog!

Mary Elizabeth (MErider) said...

That video had me laughing so hard. Bless his little heart. He really does seem confused by "wait" versus "sit" versus "lie down." And the expression he gives each time he messes it up. Oh, so cute and just priceless.
Mary