"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Scale Can Really Be an Asshole...



Day 12 on this island...

I'm trying to win a year's membership at my gym. So I can use my saved membership fee, and sign up for semi-private training, which as part of the challenge, I get for free, and have been doing for the past 12 days.

I LOVE it! 

I have been taking 2 classes a day, and running in between them. I'm like a mother effing machine! So, much like when I dropped all my major ell bees, I'm living at the gym. They all know my name. It's my own personal "Cheers" and I am its "Norm".

I had my one on one consultation with my trainer last night, and the best thing that came out of it was she told me how much my fitness level has increased in just the few training sessions we've had. (I can totally notice too!!!) Going over my schedule, and my nutrition was the best, because she said I was doing everything right.

Me?! What an inspiration! 

I hit a plateau long ago, and adding the strength and endurance training will get me to my goal of losing 20-30lbs more. And being a faster, more efficient runner.

The only advice was to take a multi-vitamin, and add a protein shake post work out since I have the bulk of my calories during the day, before working out, and my body needs more at night to build muscle, and burn fat while I rest. I can do that!

So, imagine my horror when after 12 days of INTENSE training, and a superb consultation with my trainer, I was feeling on top of the world.....until I stepped on the scale, you know,  just to see what was going on ...what was going on was that I had gained 3lbs!

They told me not to do it. Not for 24 days! But I couldn't resist!

Yes, this is a fat loss challenge, not a weight loss challenge, and the goal is to build muscle and burn fat, but 3lbs in 12 days? I was appalled!

All the hard work is worth it though. I am learning when I am pushed to my limits, I can surpass them!!

Plus, my trainer told me I was an athlete.

"Psh, I'm no athlete, I still have weight to lose"

And she said my new most favorite phrase..

"Being an athlete isn't about what your body looks like, it's about what it can do"

Here is to the next 12 days on the challenge! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Allison M. said...

I bought a scale last year and have never been weight focused until I got that GD thing. I've noticed changes in my body even though the number hasn't dropped. Muscles that weren't there before in my arms! ARMS of all places.

Teena in Toronto said...

You've gained muscle not fat, which is a good thing.

Fizzgig said...

allison
for reals, i can tell that my pants don't fit, but I gained weight, I'm hoping this is a good sign for my fat loss challenge!!

Teena
they say that, but 3lbs gained seems excessive...time will tell