"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Animal Woes, and a New Medal!!

My Mr. Magoo, the wonder dog had oral surgery on Monday. When I adopted him, he didn't have a lot of teeth. Then, two years ago, he had 10 teeth pulled. This time? He had 6 pulled.

Now, he has 7 teeth left in his mouth. Three are up front, and he has no molars left.

Magoo says "I don't have many teeth, but this one is my favorite"

I took Monday off expecting to keep an eye on him after surgery, and be back to work without a hitch on Tuesday. When he had 10 teeth pulled, he was his old self the next day. 

But he never stopped bleeding. A little is normal, but little turned into a lot (don't look if you are squeamish)

This is only a portion of the bleeding. 

I was torn whether I should pay the $150 walk in emergency fee, plus services, or chance it til morning for a re-check at his regular vet. I had just shelled out $300 for surgery, not to mention all my cat expenses as of late. I didn't sleep, going back and forth about what to do.

Since it wasn't gushing blood, I waited it out. First thing in the morning he was back at the vet. They took one look in his mouth and said..."yea, that's a lot of bleeding"...and whisked him away to the back room. I heard him crying while they were investigating his mouth...it broke my heart, and made me cry

They had to keep him all day, while I went back to work, and I was thankful for the distraction. 

He lost the stitches in one of his molars. They had to put him back under anesthesia again and stitch it up. 

The happy news is, that he is now peacefully sleeping at my feet on his way back to his silly self. The bleeding has stopped, but now he has a cough. Turns out that being intubated two days in a row can cause that. 

I'm thankful that he is doing better. And I have no idea how human Moms can cope with this stuff, it's hard enough with the fur kids. Reason 867,965,321 not to have kids. 

In other news? 

I did the buckeye half marathon (as a relay so just over 6 miles) in the freezing cold (34 degrees), and my lungs still hurt.

We finished at just under an 11 minute mile, which is sweet

Mr. Magoo kept photo bombing my race swag. He wanted to be included!

The best part? My medal is shaped like Ohio..and what is cooler than that?

My happiest part of the weekend was, I had a piece of pizza at my Halloween party. And...it was everything that I remembered it could be. If I were God, pizza would be healthy. And we could eat it every day!


Debbie @ Live from La Quinta said...

Oh, poor Mr. Magoo! What a rough experience for him (and you!!!). I'm glad he's feeling better.

It may still be warm here, but I'm glad it's not freezing. It was around 59 this morning when I ran and I was coooolllllddddd! Yeah, I'm a wimp. Nice job on your relay.

Urban Cynic said...

Oh dear little Mr. Magoo - how I feel for him. I had to have ONE wisdom tooth out last week and that was bad enough. That was a lot of blood as well and you must have been so worried. vets are so very expensive too.

Oh the poor little darling, I've been thinking about him since I read this post the other day, I hope he recovers quickly. x