"Choosing trust over doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened." -Victoria Monfort










Monday, June 13, 2005

In Memorium, My little Bitsy Booligans...

Sadly, I had a casualty to my critter crew last night. My netherland dwarf bunny, Bitsy died suddenly. To most people, she was just a rabbit, but to me, she was part of the family. I love all my animals more than most people, I am, above all else, an animal lover. This is the second relationship of mine that has been followed by the death of one of my pets. It is not fair, but what is.


They were to the vet not long ago, Bitsy, and her 'husbun' Boos, and received a clean bill of health. She was just quiet this wknd. Fri and Sat she was out playing and running with Boos. Yesterday, she was lazy and didn't come out. I have their frozen bottles, and fans, for the heat. Saterday, she pulled some fur from her side. I thought she might be going through a false pregnancy, since she is spayed and Boos is neutered. It didnt look like a bite or anything, just like she pulled out her fur.


I picked her up and was holding and kissing her, and she gave me some bunny kisses, which she hadnt given me since she was a baby. I made up her little cage, to bring her to work today and take her to the vet, and put her in my room with the a/c on.
She let me pet and kiss her, which was unusual for high strung Bitsy!



I had her on my bed, I was laying with her, and kissing her, and stroking her trying to ease her, around midnight, she got up from my arms, and acted like she had to throw up, i was crying, because I know bunnies don't throw up, and I knew it was bad. I held her, and cried, and selfishly asked her to please hold on until she could get to the vet, and she just passed. I have no clue why, or how, but my baby died. I was hysterical of course, and still am really upset over it. My pets are my children.



What makes it all even worse, is that her husbun is all alone now. Bunnies form strong bonds with their mates, and he is acting mean to me. He wont let me near their condo. I work 14 hours a day so I know he needs another mate, but I don't have the time it takes to bond bunnies while working so much, and not knowing why Bitsy died, makes it scarey to bring in another bunny. So, theres the guilt on top of the grief. It really stinks because I'm home all alone, but those we don't speak of hated my animals because they took attention away from him. (I actually have this in writing) He was selfish and wouldn't have cared anyways! Most people can appreciate a persons love, and compassion for other's, even if they are furry. Not him.








Bitsy, would have been 1 this Thursday, 6/16/05, she was just a baby! The cats loved her like a cat, and she loved them like bunnies.





Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.






When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.



All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.



They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.




You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....



Goodbye my little Bitsy Booble,I will see you at the bridge!!!




You can see more of Bitsy, Boo's and my other furkids at their webpage

In honor of Bitsy Nibblenose, share your story of a pet you loved and lost, or one you just love to peices!!

3 comments:

Mon's Sister said...

At least you know Bitsy had a great life while she was here. She couldn't have asked for a better mother, and she couldn't have been loved more.

Rachel said...

Mon,

I am so sorry to hear of Bitsy's passing. That is so terrible. She was so young. I know how you feel. I would be grief-stricken if any of my buns died. I'm still getting over George (my horse), who we had to put down in January. At least he had a long, good life. He was 23.
Oscar got gastric stasis last year. He stopped eating, and his tummy made weird noises. I called the vet and they were closing but they helped me get through the night until I could get to the vet in the morning. I gave him simethecone (for the gas) and force fed him 80 cc of canned pumpkin+water. It took all night. In the morning, the vet gave him an i.v. and Propulsid, and Oscar felt better instantly.
I don't know what happened to Bitsy but it sounds like a tummy thing. Sometimes, they can eat something that blocks up their system. For Oscar, it was broccilli. If they get runny poops or produce too many cecotrophes, you know they're prone to gut trouble. They're especially sensitive to tummy problems during shedding season (all mine are shedding now) b/c they can eat their fur and it can stop up their system.
It's normal for Bitsy's bondmate to go through a grieving process. Did he get to say goodbye to the body? I've heard that can help. Anyway, he just needs time. Then, you can think about another bondmate. They're are many bunnies who need good homes at the house rabbit society. I bet there's a chapter near you.
Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure Bitsy is sending you kisses from Rainbow Bridge right now and playing in large green fields with parsley and carrots.

HART (1-800-HART) said...

I'm sure Boos will miss Bitsy. It was a very nice pictorial memorium. We used to have hedgehog named Heidi. She lived about 2 years longer than she was ever expected to, or than the average life of a hedgehog. In the later months it was really sad because her thistles were all falling out and she was balding. When her last breath came and she passed on (maybe to the bridge!) we weren't sad, really .. her pain and suffering was now over. I think that our cat was trying to kill the hedgehog, just like the cat always tries to kill me by tripping me down the stairway! But in retrospect, it probably was the cat that kept up her energy and helped live so long ... ?? Who knows.

Take care
HART